POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Luna_01 : Re: Luna_01 Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luna_01
From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 19 Oct 2004 19:13:34
Message: <41759f9e@news.povray.org>
Phlip wrote:

> Esthetically, this is nice, and hearkens to Kepler's attempt to match the
> orbits of planets to nested platonic solids.

Thanks. As I'm beggining to actually write code (thanks to QTPovEditor), it
began as a test with triangles, later came the cylinders, the moon and
finally the ladder (an old object from Leonardo's image).
It is also a test with lightning.
I mean, nothing was planned.

> Technically, is that moon flat?

The moon has an image map only in the pigment statement. I have tried using
a bump image map in the normal, but I liked more this effect, as the moon
we see actually, without a normal map (at least me, I wear glasses). Still
it's a WIP, maybe in the end with an isosurface... but I still have to
learn it.
The image maps I have are 2000x1000

> In the lab, folks make a round moon by shining light through a big slide
> of a telescopic image of the moon onto a big white sphere. In that
> projection, you can walk around the sphere and see craters all the way to
> the terminus.
> What's the POVray equivalent (besides a light source, a slide lenses, and
> a sphere;-)?

Well, you can simply animate the texture.
Bye
--
Txemi Jendrix
www.txemijendrix.com