POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : What I don't get... : Re: What I don't get... Server Time
28 Apr 2024 16:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What I don't get...
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 10 Oct 2004 15:24:40
Message: <41698c78@news.povray.org>

41695dfe@news.povray.org...

> So either those plants, dragonflies, and tree leaves are the only scene
> elements with small details, and the backgrounds use more textures than
> real
> plant surfaces, or the POVray team rendered their sample with some system
> more powerful than my puny 2-year old DELL notebook running WinXP.

This image was rendered on a 2-year old DELL notebook running WinXP...
http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/mkofdark1.htm

In this image, most of the elements are meshes. In POV-Ray, meshes differ
from other primitives when it comes to memory use: while a copy of a CSG
construct will double the memory use, a copy of a mesh only uses a small
memory pointer. That way it's possible to load thousands of instances of the
same mesh without using much more memory than for the first copy. This is
extremely practical for these kind of scenes.

I'd say that managing the resources to create a work that is large enough
for other purposes than simple screen viewing (i.e. magazine prints, CD
covers, art shows etc.) is part of the POVCOMP excercise...

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com