POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Problem with smooth triangles and smoothness (as in p.advanced_users) : Re: Problem with smooth triangles and smoothness (as in p.advanced_users) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with smooth triangles and smoothness (as in p.advanced_users)
From: Hartmut Wagener
Date: 10 Oct 2004 15:06:35
Message: <4169883b@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
>>The CAD-program makes these small triangles and the norm-vectors are
>>calculated bad ... And i was looking for the error in my java-program
>>for days ...
>

> I'm not sure exactly how CAD programs work, but don't they actually know the
> shape they're working with, almost like POV-Ray primitives? If so, I would
> expect that they could base the normal vectors off of the actual normals of
> the shapes rather than off of the orientations of the nearby triangles. This
> would avoid the problem even with the thin triangles there.
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

The used CAD-Program uses the SAT-Format of the ACIS-Kernel for
modelling. It is a volume-based Kernel working a little like Povray CSG
does. So the bad export is astonishing for me. Perhaps the problem lies
in the STL-Data with too much numbers after the point, i will check that
out. But i don't have the CAD-program working now, i need to borrow the
dongle to use the newest version. There are parameters that affect the
output of triangles.

Hartmut