POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Problem with smooth triangles and smoothness (as in p.advanced_users) : Re: Problem with smooth triangles and smoothness (as in p.advanced_users) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with smooth triangles and smoothness (as in p.advanced_users)
From: Slime
Date: 8 Oct 2004 10:21:21
Message: <4166a261$1@news.povray.org>
> The CAD-program makes these small triangles and the norm-vectors are
> calculated bad ... And i was looking for the error in my java-program
> for days ...

I'm not sure exactly how CAD programs work, but don't they actually know the
shape they're working with, almost like POV-Ray primitives? If so, I would
expect that they could base the normal vectors off of the actual normals of
the shapes rather than off of the orientations of the nearby triangles. This
would avoid the problem even with the thin triangles there.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]