POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Problem with smooth triangles and smoothness (as in p.advanced_users) : Re: Problem with smooth triangles and smoothness (as in p.advanced_users) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with smooth triangles and smoothness (as in p.advanced_users)
From: Hartmut Wagener
Date: 7 Oct 2004 15:50:05
Message: <41659ded$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:

>>What causes povray to render some parts unsmooth although the
>>norm-vectors seem to be calculated right?
>

> That particular triangle mesh has some extremely thin triangles inbetween
> the larger ones. This is most visible near the lower left of the wireframe
> image, right below where the banding begins in the other image.
>
> This is causing a large part of the interpolation of normals to be done in a
> very tiny space, so the normals of the adjacent larger triangles which make
> up 99% of the surface in the problem areas do not match up.
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Whow, thats good. I have not seen this in the image i have posted but in
a later zoomed picture. I have posted in p.advanced_users that i want to
post the new picture tommorow.
The CAD-program makes these small triangles and the norm-vectors are
calculated bad ... And i was looking for the error in my java-program
for days ...

As mentioned in p.advusers i will try a newer version of the cad-program
(caddy ++) to see if there is something new ...

Hartmut