POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The lost library of Alexandria - 252K : Re: The lost library of Alexandria - 252K Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The lost library of Alexandria - 252K
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 5 Oct 2004 14:55:09
Message: <4162ee0a@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Stefan Viljoen wrote:
>> Nope - it burned down in total.
>
> I've read that some scraps of scrolls were eventually found and saved,
> including things like the formulae for the orbits of planets, etc,
> leading to the conclusion that science was fairly well advanced. If only
> they'd discovered movable type. :-)

Hehe! Yeah, that was about 2000 years before MS-Word. Imagine what happened
when they made a "typo" (or did they call it a "carve-o" or "adze-o"?)

"Hey Christopoulous! You idiot! I told you it was gamma not theta here!"

*crash* as a tablet that took two days to carve is smashed on the floor.

:)

I am not strong on the particular history of the library, but Carl Sagan
seemed to lament it in his book at the hit science took when it was
destroyed.

--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician