POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : rock formations WIP : rock formations WIP Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  rock formations WIP
From: Reactor
Date: 26 Sep 2004 11:51:30
Message: <4156e582@news.povray.org>
A very, very WIP, it started as a test to find a viable technique to do
the things that height fields couldn't.  I have always wanted to do natural
bridges, caves, overhangs, and all sorts of different rock formations in
POV, but never really found a good way to do that sort of thing...
  As it turns out, this sort of thing can be done in Wings (if one is
patient enough as once you start getting a lot of faces, operations get
slow).
Anyway, as I said, it has a way to go, but it is nice to know the technique
has potential...

The model geometry stats were highlighted after screenshot was taken, decent
quality radiosity (but no aa) was used along with a fancy normal in POV (the
shadow-line artifact is present in quite a few spots).  Might re-run it with
soft shadows and aa, but i should probably work on actual scene elements...

Reactor

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rock_form_wings.jpg' (77 KB) Download 'rock_formation.jpg' (44 KB)

Preview of image 'rock_form_wings.jpg'
rock_form_wings.jpg

Preview of image 'rock_formation.jpg'
rock_formation.jpg