POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Casette Tapes : Re: Casette Tapes Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Casette Tapes
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 25 Sep 2004 16:47:20
Message: <4155d958$1@news.povray.org>
> Maybe a tutorial showing how you handled some
> of the trickier things in Wings?

The trickest thing was that I had to do "manual" boolean operations, but at
least that gives me total control over the edges, unlike an automatic
routine like the one I've seen in 3dsMAX that easily produces a bit of a
mess, that one has to clean up afterwards.

It was important for the rendering of the transparant casing, that all the
cut-outs and thingys were modelled as "one piece" of plastic, similar to a
physical casette casing. Otherwise the filtering of light, as it passes
through the plastic, will not look right... Hence, boolean operations would
come in handy to stitch together cylinders and boxes, for example.

But instead I placed cylinders where I wanted them to be (various places on
the box casing) and with an orthographic view, I could accurately place
vertices/edges on the box accordingly. So the cylinder objects never became
part of the box, I just used them to see where I needed to place vertices on
the box.. That is what I call "manual" boolean operation. A few times I also
used the "bridge" command - what ever was faster.

I don't know if I can make a tutorial, but if you have further questions,
I'll try to explain.

> I can't find a single thing wrong.  Beautify

Thanks!  :-)

Hugo