POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : new earth renders : Re: new earth renders Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new earth renders
From: Yadgar
Date: 23 Sep 2004 14:21:58
Message: <41531446@news.povray.org>
High!

Christoph Hormann wrote:

> I have put up a new gallery with more detailed renders of the earth
> surface:
>
> http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/pov/earth2.html
>
> I used the same technique as for the older images but the data for these
> is much higher resolution (3 instead of 30 arc seconds for the height
> data).  I also tried more detailed images for the surface color but
> apart from the low resolution the MODIS images are quite unbeatable (no
> shading and clouds, constant quality).

Awesome... simply awesome!!!

Of course, I started picking the 3 arcsecond files for Afghanistan just
after I read about the newly published data sets...

I hope that meanwhile even a 0.3 arcsecond (equalling 10 meters per
pixel at the equator) survey is in progress or at least planned for the
nearer future... so I wouldn't have to tackle with those Soviet-made
1:100,000 military maps, nor with the enormous task to program an
interpolation tool for manually extracted contour lines...

See you in Khyberspace -
http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/khyberspace/index-d.html
Afghanistan Chronicle: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/

Yadgar