POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : (46 Kb ) : Re: (46 Kb ) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (46 Kb )
From: Jim Charter
Date: 22 Sep 2004 15:46:45
Message: <4151d6a5$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Jim Charter wrote:
>
> Looked at home on a better monitor. Intentional or no, that's maple.
> With a thin coat of gesso maybe. To my eye, it looks like an old piece
> of varnished low grade maple. Either way, it has an impressive real look
> to it.
>
> Found this on google. Hard to tell how good a pic it is on this terrible
> monitor, but...
> http://www.rosmanrv.com/revolution/2004/wood/maple.jpg
>
>  -Shay
Cool, thanks for the reference.  Canadians have a big identity going
with maple, of course, certainly when you come from Ontario at least.
But it was my wife's folks in upstate NY who actually tapped and
rendered their own maple syrup.  You could even buy it at reasonable
prices in NYC, until very recently.  For quite awhile the neighbourhood
hippy, dippy, health food store had a big keg of C grade syrup for maybe
$5 a pint.  I actually preferred the taste of the C grade.  A little
harsher and stronger flavour. Well I guess you don't drink but it was
like comparing rye to whiskey.

But not anymore. Now maybe you can still get some high grade syrup but
you can't afford it.

BTW regarding the picture and monitor quality etc.  That tracing has a
soft, grainy aspect to it which I got by using a hugely proportioned
grid for the area light.  Basically the light at a distance of 10 units
had a 10x10 unit grid.