POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Win64 ported source. : the editor shim DLL Server Time
27 Jul 2024 20:38:39 EDT (-0400)
  the editor shim DLL
From: Phlip
Date: 18 Sep 2004 00:27:11
Message: <414bb91f@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:

> ...The differences to the windows code are
> significant including a rewrite of the editor shim DLL (about 4000
> lines of code in that)...

(Hi, Chris - nice editor.)

Suppose I wrote a modeller that supported a sketch output, and when the user
wants to render they hit a render button.

The simple way is, of course, to call system("your editor /RENDER").

I want to have better access to your editor.

The current lifecycle is:

  work the modeller & watch the sketch output ->
     edit the POV file wrapper (add clouds, light, etc) ->
         fast render to spot-check things ->
             slow render to make the poster

I personally can do each -> by banging around on the various interfaces. If
I wanted to streamline that working cycle, but keep your editor in the loop,
can you publish the DLL interface to your editor?

Publishing an API is a lot of thankless work, and it would constrain you to
not change things. So you could simplify by only "publishing" (meaning
documenting and productizing) only those functions who participate in a
lifecycle like the one I sketched.

--
  Phlip