POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another first post... : Re: Another first post... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another first post...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 17 Sep 2004 14:32:09
Message: <414b2da9@news.povray.org>
> Yes, no radiosity was used for this picture. No photons where shot. This
> preview rendering as you see it there (except that I converted it to gif)
> took 8 hours and 45 minutes on my athlon 1800+ system! Even though it is
> really small (only 512*384 pixel)! I guess, that it will take much longer
> with radiosity and photons...

Well, photons only make sense if you need actual light reflection or
refraction. To avoid radiosity, why not google a little about three point
lighting? Two shadowless lightsources with lower values than your average
lightsource with shadows might do a good enough job to get rid of that
utterly black areas. You'd also have some control that way.

Regards,
Tim

PS: I'm in a haste, otherwise I'd elaborate a little more on the lighting
technique. Perhaps a fellow Pover might come to my aid... :-)

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>