POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : 3D Sound Test 1 : Re: 3D Sound Test 1 Server Time
18 Jul 2024 16:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Sound Test 1
From: Rune
Date: 17 Sep 2004 11:01:28
Message: <414afc48@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
> I am also getting reversed stereo sound.

It may be me who have a problem then... :O
I'll wait and see what a few more say.

> You asked for help in how to make the system easier to use, so let me
> give you my thoughts...

Thanks!

>> #declare camera_location = <0,0.3,1.2-0.5*clock>;
>> #declare camera_forward = z+0.1*x*clock;
>> #declare camera_up = y;
>
> You should make it possible to read these values automatically if
> screen.inc has been included. This lets the user use an interface
> that they may be more familiar with (and is also more flexible).

Good point. I'll look into it.

>> sound_set_dobbler_velocity(100)
>
> I notice this is the only place where velocity seems to be mentioned.

Yes.

> It seems to me like it would be more intuitive for the user to be
> allowed to specify the camera's velocity as a vector and each sound's
> velocity as a vector. (Or maybe they could specify the positions of
> these objects through macros and then you could calculate their
> velocities that way.)

That's what I'm doing. The velocities of the camera/listener and the objects
are automatically calculated. In this scene file they're calculated from the
points ship1_translate, ship2_translate and camera_location.

The macro sound_set_dobbler_velocity() is only used to specify the speed of
sound (measured in units per second, where a unit is whatever unit you use
in your scene).

> This way your macros do the work and I only have to
> think about where everything's moving.

That should be the case already. :)

> I guess maybe you're already doing that just by using the object's
> positions from the text file in your java program.

Yep. Actually doppler effect is a part OpenAL, so I don't even calculate it,
I just pass on positions and other info to OpenAL and then it takes care of
it. My system basically just transforms information from one form into
another form, but that alone can be complicated enough.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com