POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Cygwin configure error : Re: Cygwin configure error Server Time
2 Jul 2024 22:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cygwin configure error
From: Zan Trajkov
Date: 13 Sep 2004 13:29:23
Message: <4145d8f3@news.povray.org>
to 1.) I have found the according log files. Send to you by email.

to 2.)
ztv@ztv-0 /cygdrive/c/Programme/POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6/cygwin/povray-3.6.1
$ make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/Programme/POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6/cygw
in/povray-3.6.1'
Making all in libraries
make[2]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/Programme/POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6/cygw
in/povray-3.6.1/libraries'
Making all in jpeg
make[3]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/Programme/POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6/cygw
in/povray-3.6.1/libraries/jpeg'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Programme/POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6/cygwi
n/povray-3.6.1/libraries/jpeg'
Making all in tiff/port
make[3]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/Programme/POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6/cygw
in/povray-3.6.1/libraries/tiff/port'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Programme/POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6/cygwi
n/povray-3.6.1/libraries/tiff/port'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Programme/POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6/cygwi
n/povray-3.6.1/libraries'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Programme/POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6/cygwi
n/povray-3.6.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

to 3.)
;                     PERSISTENCE OF VISION RAY TRACER
;
;                           POV-Ray VERSION 3.6
;
;                         SAMPLE POVRAY.INI FILE
;
;  The general form of the options is "Variable=value".  Everything
;  between the equals sign and the end of the line is considered part
;  of the value.  The spacing and layout is free-form but only one option
;  per line is allowed.  Variables and values are not case-sensitive.
;
;  Note: characters after a semi-colon are treated as a comment
;
;  Traditional POV-Ray switches beginning with + or - are also allowed
;  and they may be given with more than one switch per line.
;
;  Add your own options at the bottom and/or edit these to suit. See the
;  general documentation for full instructions on how to use INI options.
;
; Width of image in pixels.  Accepts integer values.
;
Width = 320
;
;
; Height of image in pixels.  Accepts integer values.
;
Height = 240
;
; Sets minimum number of objects before auto bounding kicks in.
;
Bounding_Threshold = 3
;
;
; Turn display on
Display=On
;
; Turn verbose mode on
Verbose=On
;
;
; Specify path to search for any files not found in current
; directory. Up to 20 such paths may be specified. For example -
;   Library_Path="C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows\include"
; There may be some entries already here; if there are they were
; probably added by the install process or whoever set up the
; software for you. At the least you can expect an entry that
; points to the standard POV-Ray include files directory; on
; some operating systems there may also be one which points to
; the system's fonts directory.
;
; Note that some platforms (e.g. Windows, unless this feature is
; turned off via the configuration file) will automatically append
; standard locations like those mentioned above to the library
; path list after reading this file, so in those cases you don't
; necessarily have to have anything at all here.
;

;; Search path for #include source files or command line ini files not
;; found in the current directory.  New directories are added to the
;; search path, up to a maximum of 25.

Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.6"
Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.6/ini"
Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.6/include"
Library_Path="/usr/local/share/megapov-1.1/include"

;; File output type control.
;;     T    Uncompressed Targa-24
;;     C    Compressed Targa-24
;;     P    UNIX PPM
;;     N    PNG (8-bits per colour RGB)
;;     Nc   PNG ('c' bit per colour RGB where 5 <= c <= 16)

Output_to_File=true
Output_File_Type=N8             ;; (+/-Ftype)

That's all.
Hope, this helps

>> It did complain. The checking for this function has failed.
>
>	Okay, thanks for the confirmation.
>
>> The resulting config.log file was sent to your email address
>
>	This file says the main configuration succeeded.  Since you are
>on cygwin, libjpeg and libtiff were also configured.  However, as
>I didn't get the corresponding config.log files, I can only assume
>their configuration succeeded (the next POV-Ray release will make
>sure of that).
>	Therefore the path-with-blank-or-unusual-caracters problem
>you report is likely happening either at build time ('make') or
>at installation time ('make install').  Can you show me the context
>in which the error happens ?  Please report the last 50 lines of
>the console output including the build error.
>
>> After "make install" i tried to render some scenes with default command
line parameter:
>> 	Example: POVRAY +Iscene.pov +Oscene.tga +FT +W160 +H200 +V -D +X
>
>	Note that the +Oscene.tga parameter is unnecessary here.
>
>> The default povray.ini in $HOME/.povray/3.6 wasn't used -> p.ex.
colors.inc not found

>	("p.ex." -> do you happen to speak french ?  ;-)

Only 3 years of french at german technical gymnasium -> my skills are more
worsed than english :-(((
Je ne compris pas francaise beaucoup... Un peu... ;-)

>	If the  $HOME/.povray/3.6/povray.ini  file exists, it will be used.
>However, it might be that the Library_Path's are somewhat screwed up.
>Please report the content of this file ('cat
$HOME/.povray/3.6/povray.ini').

>> With following command line the render was successful (for Megapov 1.1,
the same with vanilla povay 3.6.1):

>> $ MEGAPOV $HOME/.povray/povray.ini +Ibear.pov +Otest.tga +FT +W640
+H480 +V -D
>> +X +L/usr/local/share/megapov-1.1\include
>
>	Two things here:
>
>1) If $HOME/.povray/povray.ini contains "bad" Library_Path entries as
guessed
>above, it won't help to specify it on the command-line.
>
>2) I suppose you did a typo in  +L/usr/local/share/megapov-1.1\include
since
>the last backslash is wrong*.  Assuming you actually have
"megapov-1.1/include"
>and that it works as is, it means the installation managed to place the
files
>under /usr/local/share/megapov-1.1/include, but for some reason povray.ini
>is missing this path.

Yes, this was a typo... :-(

>(*) Not sure if and how cygwin copes with mixed POSIX and non-POSIX paths.
>
>> I think, this was a problem of my fresh cygwin installation and not of
povray itself.
>> Or is this a problem of "make install"?
>
>	In your case I'd say both  :-)  Cygwin should be in fault when you have
>paths with spaces (first problem), and POV-Ray's install might do
something bad
>(second problem).
>
>	To summarize, I'd like you show me (or send, when adequate) the
>following:
>
>1) If they exist
>C:\Programme\POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6\cygwin\povray-3.6.1\libraries\libjpeg\config.log
>C:\Programme\POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6\cygwin\povray-3.6.1\libraries\libtiff\config.log