POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Cygwin configure error : Re: Cygwin configure error Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:52:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cygwin configure error
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 12 Sep 2004 18:33:16
Message: <4144ceac$1@news.povray.org>
> How do you make that out? I can't see how it's a problem with Cygwin
> if it fails to compile an invalid program.

	Please try to run the following:

echo "main(int argc, char* argv) { exit(0); }" > dummy.c
gcc -o dummy dummy.c

	It should report an error if there is a problem with the
Cygwin installation (such as some missing devel package maybe).
In this case, please run again gcc, this time with:

gcc -v -o dummy dummy.c

	and report all the console messages that you get.

> Sorry, I don't know enough about the configure process to answer that.

	The best would be to send me the config.log file you get in
the main POV-Ray source tree, as well as that of the support library
that is has configured.  You can find all those config.log files
running the following command:  find -type f -name config.log
You should get a subset of:

./config.log
./libraries/zlib/config.log
./libraries/png/config.log
./libraries/tiff/config.log
./libraries/jpeg/config.log

	Please send me all of those files.

> Why is it trying to build libjpeg and libtiff anyway? Cygwin already
> has them.

	This is answered if you look at what POV-Ray's configure outputs
on the console.  Hint: look at the library versions.  In case of cygwin,
libjpeg is always built, forcing libtiff to build as well.  There are
good reasons for that.

>> ./configure LDFLAGS=/usr/local/include
> Doesn't work:

	Yes, sorry I did a small mistake.  Try again with:

./configure LDFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include

	but honestly I don't think it will work either.  That's why I'd
like to get your log files to check things carefully.  Thanks.

	- NC