POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Quality triggers : Re: Quality triggers Server Time
27 Apr 2024 19:44:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quality triggers
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 11 Sep 2004 18:38:31
Message: <41437e67$1@news.povray.org>

news:web.41436c92c4d0dffcae4d96190@news.povray.org...

> I have thought of a way round my original problem by using a calculation
> that will calculate the complexity of the heightfields depending on the
> image size. Since the code will modify itself I think this will make it
> legal.

Well, the idea is that the close ups are really close ups of the submitted
image, not an improvement. For instance, image-dependent height field
complexity can be tricky: it's often about adding noise, and what looks
better on a close-up may not look always look better on the large scale
image. Without a 100% matching full image and close-ups, the judges won't be
able to know how the large render, with the quality triggers turned on, will
actually look (they'll just know how the close-ups looks).

In other words, the judges must have a fair opinion of the image as it is
submitted, so I wouldn't use this trick if I were you. Otherwise, it would
be possible to make lots of things dependent on the image size and pop up in
high res only in the close ups...

In other contests, people are obliged to render the full size image so that
the judges are sure that it's of high quality for media requiring high
resolutions. However, we thought that for the POVCOMP, it would be better to
let people spend more time on conception rather than on watching pixels
crawl across the screen...

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com