POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Desert Backdrop with Clouds (138kb, MPEG1) : Desert Backdrop with Clouds (138kb, MPEG1) Server Time
18 Jul 2024 16:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  Desert Backdrop with Clouds (138kb, MPEG1)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 11 Sep 2004 07:18:41
Message: <4142df11@news.povray.org>
So, I've updated the desert backdrop for my IRTC entry with a couple of
clouds. Instead of using media (which might behave unpredictable with
additional lightsources and requires quiet some time to render with decent
settings), I've just placed a few spheres to surround the
desert-heightfield. They get a nicely turbulenced bozo texture, each sphere
is a little different in size and their texture is translated a little as
well. Those that know the stacked-planes technique know that I've just done
that with spheres.

And, believe it or not, 5 spheres are quiet sufficient for this!

Anyways, the animation just depicts a little cloud-movement. You'll notice
the side-effects of using stacked-planes on spheres: the texture warps
around the hull of the sphere and thus, clouds dissipate and gather in a
slighty obvious matter. But they aren't meant to be animated in the entry
anyway, so that's not too big of a problem.

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"