POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Duel-Background (IRTC-WIP) : Duel-Background (IRTC-WIP) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Duel-Background (IRTC-WIP)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 9 Sep 2004 16:18:43
Message: <4140baa3@news.povray.org>
So, just today I've decided that I won't enter the POV-COMP, mainly because
I cannot come up with a decent idea for an image and because it's way too
late to just start fumbling about and hoping to get something worthwhile.
Instead, I've decided that I'll enter the IRTC instead. And, just for fun,
I've decided to give the animations a try, although I haven't rendered any
proper animations so far (just example scenes showcasing some effects).

So, for "Duel", the description says: "[...]anything pitting two individuals
against one another." Immediately, a dog-fight between two planes came into
mind. And that's what I'm planning to do: an UFO versus a
plane/helicopter-hybrid. Instead of going for 100% realism, I'm going for
some rather simplified style, focussing much more on the animation than on
the modelling. So, since the standard black backdrop won't do, and a simple
horizontal plane won't do either, I've created this heightfield to get a
nice mountain range, but an even main "fighting area". Crackle is just a
texture used only in the center with a radius of about 20 units, in case I
want to position something close to the ground, but it quickly fades into a
uniform brown/orange to avoid aliasing due to texturing.

All in all, it's a *real simple* backdrop, but it provides a visual
reference and that's what counts. The objects are just for "niceness of
presentation" here, they won't appear in the final animation of course. Next
step is to create a few fast rendering clouds for the sky, I'll probably be
using a few stacked-planes.

Anyways, any comments on the product so far would be appreciated! :-)

Regards,
Tim
--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"