POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : columned hall w/ crystal sphere : Re: columned hall w/ crystal sphere Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: columned hall w/ crystal sphere
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 6 Sep 2004 11:32:27
Message: <413c830b@news.povray.org>
> aside from a simple "global_settings {ambient_light 1 }", there is no
other
> light in the image.

Actually, that is just the default setting, IIRC. It's use is for the
ambient-settings in the finishes of the object's texturing. Objects that
aren't directly lit by any actual lightsource would just appear black, and
many a beginner's images would end up being pits of darkness with few
lighted spots. To simulate a very crude ambient lighting, ambient thus
lights up all surfaces, disregarding the actual amount of light or shadow
they get. I hope my phrasing wasn't too complicated, but you can always look
for "ambient" in the documentation.

Regards,
Tim

--