POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov 1.1b, HDRI and Paul Debevecs Maps [~100k] : MegaPov 1.1b, HDRI and Paul Debevecs Maps [~100k] Server Time
28 Jun 2024 23:33:52 EDT (-0400)
  MegaPov 1.1b, HDRI and Paul Debevecs Maps [~100k]
From: Arlo J
Date: 4 Sep 2004 17:54:10
Message: <413a3982@news.povray.org>
Hey folks...

I was trying to take the sample hdr_mapping.pov scene and use it as a
base for my own HDR experiments.

So, I set up a quick scene with just a camera looking at a sphere using
the generated map from hdr_environment. Looked good, nice smooth shading
and lighting.

Then I swapped the pigment statements in the HDR sphere to the mapping
type (7) that is supposed to work with Paul Devebecs spherical HDR maps.
All the maps of his that I have tried have had very strange effects on
the surfaces, almost like "light noise". Using the HDR file from the
Rendering with Natural Light demo, you can see that the sphere is very
spotty. Please see the attached picture for an example. I've also
included a pic done with the "grace" probe. (yuck!)

Considering that all that is different between these scenes is the type
of HDR, I can't figure out what is going on.

Has anybody else been able to succesfully get these types of maps to
work correctly?

Thanks!

Arlo

// CODE:

#include "colors.inc"

#version unofficial MegaPov 1.10;

// radiosity (global illumination) settings
global_settings {
   max_trace_level 15
   radiosity {
     pretrace_start 0.08
     pretrace_end   0.01
     count 800
     //count 250
     nearest_count 8
     //nearest_count 5
     error_bound 0.07
     //error_bound 0.2
     recursion_limit 2
     brightness 1

     normal on
     randomize on
   }
}

camera
{
    location <0, 2, -3>
    look_at <0, 1, 0>
    angle 90
}

sphere
{
    <0, 0, 0>, 1
    translate <0, 1, 0>
    pigment
    {
       color White
    }
    finish
    {
       ambient 0
       diffuse 0.7
    }
}

box
{
    <-2, -0.1, -2>, <2, 0, 2>
    pigment
    {
       color White
    }
    finish
    {
       ambient 0
       diffuse 0.7
    }
}

sphere {
   0,200
   pigment { image_map { hdr "c:\grace_probe.hdr" once interpolate 2
map_type 7 } }
   //pigment { image_map { hdr "c:\hdr_env.hdr" once interpolate 2
map_type 1 } }
   finish { ambient 0.8 diffuse 0 }
   scale <-1,1,1>
   hollow
   rotate 120*y
}

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'isosurface.jpg' (41 KB) Download 'isosurface2.jpg' (39 KB)

Preview of image 'isosurface.jpg'
isosurface.jpg

Preview of image 'isosurface2.jpg'
isosurface2.jpg