POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some glasses (~50 KB) : Re: Some glasses (~50 KB) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:27:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some glasses (~50 KB)
From: Andrew C on Mozilla
Date: 3 Sep 2004 16:17:28
Message: <4138d158@news.povray.org>
> Well, you have picked one of the hardest things to model. Glass is
> notoriously difficult. Just think of all those painters of long ago trying
> to get it right. Light is so heavy :-}
> I also think that the eye deceives the brain in RL (T) and we see what we
> expect to see. So when looking at a rendering the colours can seem
> exaggerated or unrealistic. Just keep plugging away and you will become one
> of the experts.

[...] with me as your grid; y'all can see me now cuz you don't see with
your eye, your percieve with your mind [...]

> That aside, I think your glass is a bit too thick (if you want to make fine
> glass) but overall the modelling looks good. The Lights, IMO, are a bit
> close to the glassware, going by the shadows.

The two glasses on the left are supposed to be fairly thick. (The
real-world models they're based on are fairly thick.) As for the right
hand one... yeah, that probably should be thinner... especially that lip...

And the lights... There are 3 of them, one on either side, and one above
and behind. I think this is what's casting the extreme forward shadows.
I'm still not entirely sure the lighting is correct... I always struggle
with it. Oh well!

Andrew @ home.