POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Building facades (1) : Re: Building facades (1) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building facades (1)
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 3 Sep 2004 13:22:01
Message: <4138a839$1@news.povray.org>
> > Josh suggested to replace the bricks with a heightfield.
> > That won't speed up anything, assuming you didn't use
> CSG for the bricks.
>
> I thought height fields were quicker than big csg's, that's my experience
> anyway.
>
> I'm interested in any stats if you have them? :)

Heightfields are definitely quicker than CSG "difference" and "intersection"
(also called boolean operations) but what I meant was, heightfields are not
quicker than standard primitives. So if you have 5000 boxes, they will
render as quickly as 1 heightfield, as long as you don't use boolean
operations.

Hope that makes sense. :-)

Regards,
Hugo