POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Building facades (1) : Re: Building facades (1) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building facades (1)
From: Rarius
Date: 3 Sep 2004 09:36:12
Message: <4138734c$1@news.povray.org>
I've found that swapping code around can help a LOT in CSG work...

Using difference to chop out bits of a large union is very slow compaired to
unioning up lots of differences... Here's an example... The following took
1m14s to render...

difference
{
 union
 {
  #local n=0;
  #while(n<1000)
   sphere{vnormalize(<rand(R1), rand(R1), rand(R1)>), .01}
   #local n=n+1;
  #end
 }
 sphere{1, 0}
}

While the following produced exactly the same results in only 10s

union
{
 #local n=0;
 #while(n<1000)
  difference
  {
   sphere{vnormalize(<rand(R1), rand(R1), rand(R1)>), .01}
   sphere{1, 0}
  }
  #local n=n+1;
 #end
}

If you difference each of your bricks with the window "holes" and then union
them, you should see a massive speed increase...

BTW replacing union with merge in the above script slows it down
MASSIVELY!!!!

Another tip is to use bounded_by on any onject that isnt a straight union...
differences for example are pretty poor at bounding themselves.

Rarius