POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : PDF docs enhancement : Re: PDF docs enhancement Server Time
3 May 2024 16:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PDF docs enhancement
From: Christian Walther
Date: 3 Sep 2004 04:39:31
Message: <41382dc3$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> We are very well aware of the hyperref package.  As we explicitly state on
> the download page, the PDF and PostScript versions of the documentation are
> for *printing*.  The printable documentation should obviously not be
> cluttered with useless hyperlinks that also destroy the printed version's
> layout.

How do the hyperlinks destroy the layout? As far as I see my hyperlinked
version of the PDF looks exactly the same as your non-hyperlinked.

> PDF is a document format designed for printing and not for viewing. As such,
> usability problems of Adobe Acrobat Reader and similar products when trying
> to use PDFs for on screen viewing should be reported to their developers,
> not us.

I should report to Apple that Preview doesn't magically invent the
bookmarks and hyperlinks that aren't present in the PDF? :)

And, well, I probably wouldn't be using the PDF docs if I had to use
Adobe Reader. But Preview is nice. :)

> The Windows and Macintosh HTML documentation is fully searchable by the
> respective system help viewers.

Ah, right, didn't think of that. I always used a web browser, not Help
Viewer. Though I think I still like searching in Preview better than in
Help Viewer.

Anyway, I'm fine with your decisions. After all, I can still use my own
hyperlinked and bookmarked version of the PDF. Just keep the TeX source
available...

  -Christian