POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some glasses (~50 KB) : Re: Some glasses (~50 KB) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some glasses (~50 KB)
From: Andrew C on Mozilla
Date: 29 Aug 2004 15:31:25
Message: <41322f0d@news.povray.org>
>>>All objects 100% CSG.
>>
>>Completing pictures entirely with csg primitives is a very satisfying
>>accomplishment and potentially capable of powerful results.  To me it is
>>akin to classic burin engraving in the world of printmaking.
>

> I agree, but I can't completely explain why.  While, I don't think using a
> modeller is cheating (in any way), you also give up some things when you use
> a modeller, and you often have to suffer with weird artifacts that wouldn't
> be there without the "fake" surface normals (fake, meaning that normals are
> not the same as a real curved surface in CSG).
>
> There's something intriguing to me about the purity of POV-Ray SDL.  Maybe
> it's because I'm a computer programmer by profession.  IMHO, creating a
> fantastic scene in CSG without including any meshes is quite an
> accomplishment.  Ditto for procedural textures as opposed to photographic
> textures.

For me, it's quite simple.

If it's 100% CSG, than you can look as close as you like, from any angle
you like, and it will look correct. No triangles where there should be
smooth curves.

Same thing with procedural textures; no pixels anywhere. Plus procedural
textures are truely 3D, whereas [most] bitmapped textures are only 2D...

Andrew @ home.