POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Contemplation, (more) final : Re: Contemplation, (more) final Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Contemplation, (more) final
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Aug 2004 03:08:37
Message: <412997f5@news.povray.org>
"Veijo Vilva" <vei### [at] animalhelsinkifi> schreef in bericht
> Thanks for your comments. The previous wall was rather good on screen,
> but as a largish print it was disappointing, a mishmash. The present
> wall is quite prominent, even dominating, and I myself am not quite sure
> about my feelings concerning it. I have some ideas, but they'll have to
> wait. OTOH, I've seen rather similar walls and contrasts in some
> medieval Finnish churches, see e.g.
>
>    http://www.animal.helsinki.fi/people/vilva/aboa/1143.jpg
>
> where the wall is slightly more irregular and the illumination is
> different. If you look at the lower right corner of the brick wall
> which is in the shadows, it is quite similar to my wall. Looking at my
> picture, one might also say that the heavy brick wall above the rather
> flimsy wall below it gives some extra weight to the statement made by
> the Wayfarer painting.

Yes, I agree with you, and the photograph is an excelent illustration.
However, note that in the church wall there are random bricks that have more
or less the color of the surroundings. They function like a kind of harmonic
counterpoint to the whole. Perhaps also, the size/ratio of your bricks could
be slightly smaller.
Oh well... These are just small things coming to my mind. Stays the fact
that you have created a fascinating scene.

> It isn't a painting but a group of four identical heads distorted by the
> window pane. The heads are the result of two evenings spent getting
> acquinted with Wings3D, see
>
>    http://galeria.galactinus.org/vilva/sculpting.html
>
> There is a certain resemblance to "The Scream" by Munch or to some of
> Los Caprichos by Goya.

I truly like those sculptures! There is an echo there of Nordic sculptures I
believe. Very expressive.
Wings3D seems to become a "standard" with Povrayers! I am experimenting also
with it and it gives great results. I was fond of Hamapatch, but I think
Wings3D is going to supersede it...

Thomas