POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First Image: Inverted 3d truchet tiling : Re: First Image: Inverted 3d truchet tiling Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First Image: Inverted 3d truchet tiling
From: Slime
Date: 22 Aug 2004 23:18:09
Message: <412961f1@news.povray.org>
> This is my first attempt at a povray render. It didn't turn out quite like
> intended, but I was quite happy with it. I started with an interesting
> geometric object which I wanted to raytrace, so think of this image as an
> attempt to show off the object, not my very basic povray skills.

It's pretty cool, the perspective is great and the contrast in the size of
the object at different areas is good.

Because your mesh has relatively few polygons, it is suffering pretty badly
from a known POV-Ray bug which is causing those black spots around the
edges. If you don't have any shadowless lights in your scene, you can work
around this bug by adding "double_illuminate" to the end of the mesh object.

You may also want to increase the polygon count in order to smooth out the
edges and the shadow transitions along the surface.

> As said in the title, it is an inversion of a 3d truchet tiling.

Oh, of course! A truchet tiling! What's that? ;)

> If anyone has any advice or tips I'd love to hear them.

If you're new, go through the tutorials in the help files. It's a good way
to learn how to make scenes from scratch and how to make your own textures.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]