POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : An old photograph of The Megastructure : Re: An old photograph of The Megastructure Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An old photograph of The Megastructure
From: Jim Charter
Date: 22 Aug 2004 11:24:50
Message: <4128bac2$1@news.povray.org>
Ewok wrote:
> This image was inspired by the Japanese manga "Blame!", in which a lone
> character journeys through an endless structure. The strange aspect ratio
> of the image is because I'll eventually laminate a copy on my computer
> case, and I wanted it to fit.
>
> In short --
> 1) No point lights; only radiosity caused by luminescent blocks on right.
> 2) The illusion of distance is actually the parallel-mirror effect; all
> scene elements are in a single small room.
> 3) Noise, blur, and text done by Photoshop.
> 4) For a translation of the Japanese, as well as some other minor goodies,
> please visit
> http://ewokker.no-ip.org/WebPage/3d/current/megastructure_corridor01.html
>
> Sorry about the shopping list =)
>
> I really appreciate the work you guys do, and after spending many years
> browsing binaries.images, it's very satisfying to be presenting some work
> of my own.
>
> Thanks,
> -Eli

I enjoy the results you are getting with your reductionist approach.  I
like the two corridor pictures the best (along with the "freaky" scene
that was part of the process).  It's not only the studied use of the
composition but the effects of the nearly imperceptible textures too.
Is the "parallel mirror" technique necessary?  I would think you could
get a similar image with a program loop?  Just curious really.

The sepia picture takes on an odd fleshlike quality when displayed
against the limegreen background of your page btw.