POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Baking UV textures with POV-Ray : Re: Baking UV textures with POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baking UV textures with POV-Ray
From: Jim Charter
Date: 20 Aug 2004 23:32:19
Message: <4126c243$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
> See the thread in povray.general ("Can I bake UV textures with Povray?") for
> discussion.
>
> There are very slight differences between the two images which aren't very
> noticeable. One difference (and the most significant one) is that along the
> corners, the UV mapped version has some slight artifacts because it's
> sampling from the background area of the UV texture. This would be more
> noticable if I had used a lower resolution UV map (the version shown is half
> the size of the original 512x512). The other difference is that there is a
> very tiny discrepancy in some triangles between where colors in the
> procedural texture appear and where colors in the UV texture appear;
> probably due to innacuracies in the sampling.
>
> This would be better implemented as a patch, especially because of how
> incredibly slow it is (there may be room for some optimization). But in a
> pinch it can do the trick.
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Well I for one am damned impressed!  You said the UV projection had to
be established first.  How did you do that?  The reason I ask is that I
think the polys would have to have be contiguous in some way if the next
stage in the workflow was to take the template and add more stuff, say
hand-drawn wrinkles, for instance.  That, anyway, is how I imagine this
technique would play a role in a workflow.  I assume by your description
that that could be done.  How you get the original UV's is arbitrary right?