POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : New Radiosity-Sample-Set : Re: New Radiosity-Sample-Set Server Time
29 Jun 2024 00:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Radiosity-Sample-Set
From: Thies Heidecke
Date: 20 Aug 2004 15:24:47
Message: <41264fff$1@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" <chr### [at] gmxde> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Thies Heidecke wrote:
> > Hi,
> > as announced in the MegaPOV-Thread i've made a small webpage
> > to show my new radiosity-sampleset. The URL is:
> >
> >   http://www.8ung.at/halcyon/povray/custom-radiosity.html
> >
> > What do you think?
> > I'm excited to get your feedback :)
>
> That's a regular distribution and this means it is a very bad one for
> general purpose.  This does not mean it can't lead to better results
> under certain circumstances.
>
> In case it isn't immediately clear why a regular distribution is bad -
> the lower edge of your sample set for example follows a certain pattern
> - this pattern is the most likely cause of artefacts.

Although one can see the typical spiralling patterns of phyllotaxis it isn't
(considered on a certain level) as regular as it seems. In fact, the pattern
is, because of the golden ratio involved, angle-wise the most irregular

sampling
don't exist with the sunflower-pattern.

Could you show me an example-scene where these kind of artifacts caused by
regular-distribution sampling can be seen?

> Christoph Hormann
Greetings,
Thies