POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : XML-RPC Render Server protocol 0.9.0 RFC : Re: XML-RPC Render Server protocol 0.9.0 RFC Server Time
28 Jun 2024 23:48:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XML-RPC Render Server protocol 0.9.0 RFC
From: George Pantazopoulos
Date: 14 Aug 2004 10:10:13
Message: <411e1d45$1@news.povray.org>

> Yes, okay, tunnelling over ssh is perfectly okay from the security point
> of view. Especially if one can make sure that the POV server port is
> not directly accessible from the internet...

Yeah, a render farm behind a firewall is the target I have in mind.

>>        Say we have 20 computers, and each task takes 100 minutes total
>>(per computer). 5 percent parse overhead means 5 minutes per computer is
>>spent parsing, and the remaining 95 rendering. That means that (20 cpus
>>* 5 minutes parsing/cpu = 100 ) cpu-minutes are spent parsing and (20
>>cpus * 95 minutes rendering/cpu = 1900 ) cpu-minutes are spent
>>rendering. So the complete overhead is 100 cpu-minutes out of the 2000
>>total, which is still 5%, not 100%. Remember, my patch only parses once
>>per machine, not once per tile :)
>>

> You're certainly correct here. What I was calculating is: we could render
> one complete image from the produced overhead. So, the overhead is
> 100% of the CPU cycles required to render one image.

One subimage (tile), not one full-sized image :)

>>Also, we have a great program called RendView for anims, I'm aiming this
>>   program at accelerating high-quality stills :)
>>

> So, if you have any suggestions / improvements or find bugs in this program,
> please let me know.
>
> Wolfgang

I will, and I've wanted to check out your other cool patches as well.
I've just been so busy lately that I can't even work on my own stuff.
You've been super-productive lately. What's your secret? :)

--
George Pantazopoulos