POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : XML-RPC Render Server protocol 0.9.0 RFC : Re: XML-RPC Render Server protocol 0.9.0 RFC Server Time
29 Jun 2024 00:06:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XML-RPC Render Server protocol 0.9.0 RFC
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 14 Aug 2004 09:03:32
Message: <411e0da3@news.povray.org>
George Pantazopoulos wrote:
>        You are certainly right to bring up this point, and I have
> considered it as well. However, ssh already does this better than
> anything I could code up, so I felt I shouldn't try reinventing the wheel.

Yes, okay, tunnelling over ssh is perfectly okay from the security point
of view. Especially if one can make sure that the POV server port is
not directly accessible from the internet...

>         Say we have 20 computers, and each task takes 100 minutes total
> (per computer). 5 percent parse overhead means 5 minutes per computer is
> spent parsing, and the remaining 95 rendering. That means that (20 cpus
> * 5 minutes parsing/cpu = 100 ) cpu-minutes are spent parsing and (20
> cpus * 95 minutes rendering/cpu = 1900 ) cpu-minutes are spent
> rendering. So the complete overhead is 100 cpu-minutes out of the 2000
> total, which is still 5%, not 100%. Remember, my patch only parses once
> per machine, not once per tile :)

You're certainly correct here. What I was calculating is: we could render
one complete image from the produced overhead. So, the overhead is
100% of the CPU cycles required to render one image.

> Also, we have a great program called RendView for anims, I'm aiming this
>    program at accelerating high-quality stills :)

So, if you have any suggestions / improvements or find bugs in this program,
please let me know.

Wolfgang