POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Newbie needs texture help for desert picture : Re: Newbie needs texture help for desert picture Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie needs texture help for desert picture
From: Alain
Date: 13 Aug 2004 20:35:15
Message: <411d5e43$1@news.povray.org>
demented_yam nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 13/08/2004 15:41... :

>well, i just started on my desert picture, and of course the beginning of
>the desert picture just happens to coincide with my beginning in the
>graphi                 cartsviapovray.
>
>so anyway, i need help finding a realistic skin texture. (i already found
>via trial and error a realistic skin color {rgb  <.97, .77, .55>}
>
>my (very simple, by your standards) picture requires a closeup of a pair of
>human hands, and i just can't get them to look like anything but plastic.
>
>any help would be appreciated, and if this is in the wrong place, then
>please steer me in the right direction.
>
>i promise i'll post a picture once i have something worth looking at.
>
>if you have any tips for making sand, i wouldn't mind hearing them.
>
>Thank you so very, very much! (unless you didn't post anything :P)

A beter place would have been on povray.newusers
Have you tried using normal for the skin? Using a crackle normal with a
relatively small scale can make an acceptable texture. Try to play with
phong/phong_size and specular/roughness to change the highlights
strenght/sharpness.
With the windows version. Start by typing "normal" and press F1 to
summon the help. Here, you'll get the syntax for the normals. Do the
same for phong and specular, and any keyword you're not sure about.
Don't forget to read all the manuals.

Alain