POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : XML-RPC Render Server protocol 0.9.0 RFC : Re: XML-RPC Render Server protocol 0.9.0 RFC Server Time
29 Jun 2024 00:05:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XML-RPC Render Server protocol 0.9.0 RFC
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 11 Aug 2004 14:32:40
Message: <411a6647@news.povray.org>
George Pantazopoulos wrote:
> render slave (XML-RPC Render Server), I've drafted (and attached) a
> protocol spec that I submit for your comments. I have a working patch
> made that uses my protocol, which I am cleaning up and preparing for
> release.

Two comments:

(1) Did I miss anything or is there no client authentication?
    Since the only "render farm" I could use is available to more people
    than me alone, I'd never use something which does not at least have
    some challenge-response auth.

(2) In case we have 20 computers for a render task and parsing + photons
    (only?) takes 5% of total time, then the complete overhead is 100%, i.e.
    we spend twice as much CPU*computers as necessary.
    Overcoming this by having the client doing the parsing and send the
    internal state to the server, however, is probably really hard to do.
    This is IMO only a problem when rendering animations (per-frame rendering
    time normally relatively short) or scenes which need a lot of parsing.

Wolfgang