POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : AWC WIP [~90K jpg] : Re: AWC WIP Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AWC WIP
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 7 Aug 2004 18:06:16
Message: <41155258$1@news.povray.org>
Hi again,

Thanks for posting the extra renders. Is it true that both the daylight
rendering that you posted yesterday, and the no_rad version you posted
today, are without radiosity? Because they look the same to me.

The entrance-artifact that you mention could be due to a wrong value in
reflection_exponent (for example, if you wanted to write .8 you might have
written 8 ... it was late at night you said) or max_trace_level was set too
low. Usually, radiosity will not have much effect on glassy surfaces because
they provide very little diffuse reflection. They are mirror-like, and
refracts the light, both of which are independant calculations from
radiosity.

> it's been a long time since I used Mega.

Yeah but I've found the exposure control is addictive.  :-)  Anyway it takes
a bit of practice because one must think about light in a more realistic
manner. I think most of us are still used to think directly about, what we
see on the screen (or what we see on photos ... all of which are images
limited/compressed to a low dynamic scale). Real world is different.

I could try to give some suggestions but they would involve changing all
texture values and strength of light_source's, along with using exposure ...
maybe the simplest solution for now, is to further increase the radiosity -
brightness value. Remember you can go above 1.0 and I would recommend 1.3 or
1.6... I've had fairly good results with that, and the results were at
least, that the shadows weren't black anymore. (It may pick up too much
light from the walls then, but anyway ... you could add a blue fill-light to
compensate a little for that)

Regards,
Hugo