POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : AWC WIP [~90K jpg] : Re: AWC WIP Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AWC WIP
From: Hughes, B
Date: 7 Aug 2004 17:09:33
Message: <4115450d@news.povray.org>
"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message

> I haven't used the "reflection exponent" keyword for a long time. It
doesn't
> seem to be necessary anymore. You have exposure control (at least in
> MegaPOV1.0) that compresses the dynamic upper range of an entire
rendering.
> This means you can setup light_sources with realistic (high)
light-emission.
> That's why reflections will finally show up properly without the need of a
> reflection exponent!

And it's been a long time since I used Mega. Hm. But does this work for any
and all objects reflected? My intent was to diminish darker areas and
enhance brighter ones, so I can imagine that would work for lit places but
not shadowed places. Maybe I'm not thinking of the whole raytraced image as
being completely light-controlled.

> In this particular scene I sort of wonder, why you're putting such
> importance into reflections. ---8<--- Most materials here are rough
> stone-like (hence gives a very diffuse reflection). If you're talking
about
> the glassy entrance, it's another story.

Yes, its really the glass entrance part that really must have the
reflection. The marble panels, roof and steps paint is glossy (yep, painted
steps, ugh! not marble) and makes those parts reflective at shallow angles
so I added a little. Not sure if I'll ever get it into MegaPOV. Awaiting to
see what all the next version of it has included, like a lot of people are.

> Well, I don't see any radiosity in
> the daylight rendering (shadows are black) so I can't say if it messes up
> with the entrance. Assuming you did render this with radiosity, try to
> increase "brightness" in radiosity, just to see what's going on...

Been using brightness 0.9, actually. :-)

I should have shown an actual image of the artifacting before it was too
late. By that, I mean, I rerendered again today and couldn't get it to
happen. A good thing I guess, but turns it into more of a mystery. I was
trying to get a short test scene to do the same last night and couldn't,
even though I could go back and run a small rendering of this buidling and
still see it happening. I'm attaching a hand-drawn artifact to show what I
was seeing yesterday and what it looks like without radiosity.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'awc_no-rad.jpg' (23 KB) Download 'awc_ref-exp.jpg' (24 KB)

Preview of image 'awc_no-rad.jpg'
awc_no-rad.jpg

Preview of image 'awc_ref-exp.jpg'
awc_ref-exp.jpg