POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Hmm, do I interpret these rules correctly? : Re: Hmm, do I interpret these rules correctly? Server Time
5 May 2024 11:06:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hmm, do I interpret these rules correctly?
From: Tek
Date: 7 Aug 2004 14:48:14
Message: <411523ee$1@news.povray.org>
news:4113abe2@news.povray.org...
>  From my personal understanding this would not violate the letters of
> the rules but their spirit.

I agree.

The point of this contest is to highlight the abilities of povray, but an effect
like that is explicitly using povray to work around one of it's own inherent
limitations. Whilst this is a valid use of pov, it is surely better to create a
scene that shows the intrinsic beauty of pov's features, rather than emphasizing
a limitation.

Though it is also valid to argue that demonstrating pov's ability to work round
even the most fundamental limitations of ray-tracing makes it a truly powerful
tool. But I feel this is a little peripheral to the main intention of pov.

Just my 2 cents :)
--
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com