POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : AWC WIP [~90K jpg] : Re: AWC WIP [~90K jpg] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AWC WIP [~90K jpg]
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 7 Aug 2004 07:30:17
Message: <4114bd49@news.povray.org>
Hi !

Glad to see you're still working on it. (One of my own problems is I give up
projects before they are finished). Well, I'm quite interested in realistic
lighting and such, so maybe I can help.

I haven't used the "reflection exponent" keyword for a long time. It doesn't
seem to be necessary anymore. You have exposure control (at least in
MegaPOV1.0) that compresses the dynamic upper range of an entire rendering.
This means you can setup light_sources with realistic (high) light-emission.
That's why reflections will finally show up properly without the need of a
reflection exponent!

In this particular scene I sort of wonder, why you're putting such
importance into reflections. The materials of the building suggest that
reflection (mirror-like reflection anyway, accessed with the 'reflection'
keyword in POV-Ray) are just the top of the iceberg, meaning, they are
important only when we take a closer look. Most materials here are rough
stone-like (hence gives a very diffuse reflection). If you're talking about
the glassy entrance, it's another story. Well, I don't see any radiosity in
the daylight rendering (shadows are black) so I can't say if it messes up
with the entrance. Assuming you did render this with radiosity, try to
increase "brightness" in radiosity, just to see what's going on... You're
lucky though, with this scene radiosity can do a nice and quick job.

Regards,
Hugo