POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Desert WIP - Skull : Re: Desert WIP - Skull Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Desert WIP - Skull
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 4 Aug 2004 14:31:25
Message: <41112AE2.2090703@hotmail.com>
Jim Charter wrote:

> Michael Raiford wrote:
>
>> I think I'm getting close to done texturing the skull.
>>
> Nice.  The surface strikes me as a little regular.  Even if the bone
> would have a polished quality I would expect the surface to be a little
> more irregular.  Personally I tend to think of wether bone as having a
> slightly fibrous texture like that on the outside of driftwood.

Indeed, the appearance of weathered bone is quite rough. The same
factors responsible for cracking wood are in action when weathering
bones as well. The result? A surface comprised of thousands of tiny,
fibrous 'plates' lifted up this way and that, with deep cracks
in-between. Old skulls feel very rough when you touch them.

-Sam