POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : [announce] JITC: Really fast POVRay FPU : Re: [announce] JITC: Really fast POVRay FPU Server Time
18 Jun 2024 09:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [announce] JITC: Really fast POVRay FPU
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 4 Aug 2004 05:29:29
Message: <4110ac78@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> I think the work probably would have been better invested in
> implementing an internal JIT compiler using the existing hooks as
> Thorsten explained.  This would work on all x86 systems (and for Mac an
> implementation already exists).

Sounded interesting. I'll have a look at that.
Why didn't anybody put that on a publically available todo list? ;)

> BTW your page does not say which optimizations you used for compiling
> the patched version.

Well, this actually does not matter much. As pointed out on my home page,
I used the same compiler flags for the patched and the unpatched version
to make sure that the timings can be compared. And of course, I used the
best ones I know.
-O2 -ffast-math -march=athlon-xp -Wno-multichar -finline-functions
-funit-at-a-time -fno-rtti -mfpmath=387

> To me it seems quite unlikely that you always get
> a speedup, there is also some overhead introduced by calling an external
> library.

This is correct. An external no-op function called via a pointer takes
about 10 times as long as an internal no-op function.
No-op function means:
  int foo(int x)  {  return(x);  }

But we should not forget that the huge swith-case construct in the main VM
takes some time, too. And this switch is effectively eliminated by JITC.

Wolfgang