POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : How to fill them up : Re: How to fill them up Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to fill them up
From: KalleK
Date: 3 Aug 2004 11:41:57
Message: <410fb245@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:

> I think when it hits the first surface (the water surface), it
> accepts that it's inside water and uses the water ior (as far as it
> knows, it's going to come out of the water before it comes out of the
> glass). Then, when it comes out of the glass, it recognizes that it's
> been in overlapping materials and doesn't change the ior; it simply
> continues through the surface of the glass and into the water.
I don't know, if the following contradicts your statement: I have tested,
and there is a visual difference between:

difference { // the glass with hole
  sphere { <0,5,0>,5 }
  sphere { <0,5,0>,3 }
  interior {ior 1.5}
}
sphere { <0,5,0>,3.5 // the water
  interior {ior 1.33}
}

and

//difference { // the glass with hole
  sphere { <0,5,0>,5 //}
//  sphere { <0,5,0>,3 }
//  interior {ior 1.5} // without hole...
}
sphere { <0,5,0>, 4 // the water
  interior {ior 1.33}
}

So - the surface between "glass and water" to water can be seen. It's not:
"<Beeing in glas> O! there is water, well a guess I leave the glass here and
enter the water <then hitting the end of glass> well, I've already left - so
forget it <ignoring this surface>!"

But maybe it's right-looking this way... I have to do some more tests.

Kalle