POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Going Through The Wormhole Portal ( link ) : Re: Going Through The Wormhole Portal ( link ) Server Time
18 Jul 2024 16:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Going Through The Wormhole Portal ( link )
From: Slime
Date: 2 Aug 2004 19:21:02
Message: <410ecc5e$1@news.povray.org>
Pretty crazy. If I had to guess how you did it, I'd say you made one of the
environments no_image and the other no_reflection, and then made the portal
object reflective, switching the no_image/no_reflection at the moment that
the camera goes through the portal.

The portal itself seems to start off as a sphere, but definitely changes
shape (you can see this especially in the shadow). I think part of it
flattens out just before the ship goes "through" it, so that you were able
to merge the no_image ship with the no_reflection ship perfectly.

As for the visual warping of the background before the portal appears, I
have to assume you used nested objects with increasing ior, or maybe managed
to use a disc with some sort of interpolated ior. Or maybe you used an
object with a constant ior but a changing shape to control which camera rays
bent and how much.

Neat =)

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]