POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : How to fill them up : Re: How to fill them up Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:24:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to fill them up
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 2 Aug 2004 13:32:40
Message: <410e7ab8$1@news.povray.org>
"KalleK" <kal### [at] gmxde> wrote in message news:410d11f7@news.povray.org...
> Hi!
>
> These are two lathe-glasses with colored media in the upper part (and some
> media in the lower part...).
>
> My problem is, how to fill in some water (or something else).
>
> I know, how to make the water the size it would perfectly fit in, but then
> you got the "coincident surfaces problem"...
>
> What should I do to let the ior-statements play together well (Having only
> one surface between the water and the glass with "ior 1.33" to "ior 1.5")?
> -Remove some surfaces with clipped_by
> -Scale the water a tiny bit up, so we got some water in the glass?
> -Scale it down, to have some air between the glass and the water?
> -Something completely different?
>
> (I remember faintly, that scaling it up a bit should do it, because
POV-Ray
> would realize this, would make only one surface from glass to water - but
> don't know anymore...)
>
> I searched the faq (Helpfile: 2.4) but didn't find anything - I think this
> could be a candidate to be added.

There is an excellent example of how to do this posted by one "tommy" on
April 27, 2004.

Here is a link to the image.  In one of the followups, the author also links
to the posted the source code.
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.408df5996f50dd40a472d3920@news.povray.org%3E/

Maybe that's not "the best" way to do it, but the results seem impressive.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com