POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Welcome Center WIP [~90K jpg] : Re: Welcome Center photo [~147K jpg] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Welcome Center photo [~147K jpg]
From: Hughes, B
Date: 1 Aug 2004 20:53:19
Message: <410d907f$1@news.povray.org>
"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message

> There is a strong lightsource to the left and above (heavy street
> light?) and the built-in lights create glows.

Yep, there's two orange sodium lamps. One in front and a little to the right
side of the building (its post is along the left edge of photo), the other
visible at the left side and behind the building. The bluish cast is from
three sets of four large mercury(?) floodlights, surrounding the rocket on
display, about 50 to 75 meters in front of the building. They are a little
above ground level so they (actually, mostly one set) shine beneath the
trees. In fact, all other lights for the parking lot are sodium lamps too.
Very contrasting in color, obviously.

> I sort of prefer the white/grey look, rather than the strong blue/yellow
on
> your model. But I realise the colours on the photo may be off. You know it
> better than me. Though I remember having read that humans don't see vivid
> colours at night. Everything becomes more grey because of the way our eyes
> compensate for the lower light, and below a certain threshold, the blue
> color component becomes dominant.

B&W, or grayscales, could definitely be good for this. Nice idea. I had been
back there at twilight the first time and late at night the next time (with
camera). Was very blue-gray from a twilight sky but the lights all take over
at night and mix blues with yellows. A power outage could make it look gray.
;-)
Bob H.