POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : media based clouds - in practice : Re: media based clouds - in practice Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media based clouds - in practice
From: Reactor
Date: 1 Aug 2004 10:37:13
Message: <410d0019@news.povray.org>
"Wolfgang Wieser" <wwi### [at] nospamgmxde> wrote in message
> Reactor wrote:
> >
> > Another go using media based clouds.  I am not sure of the render time
for
> > this one as it was a frequently interrupted background task.
> >
> Well done!
> This is much better than all media-based clouds I've been able to produce.
> (I then gave up the topic a year ago...)
>
> Could you be a bit more specific on the technique? It seems you are
> using a large hollow sphere (or box) with media inside and the
> density of the media is described by a "blob pattern" (?)
>
> > PS. Yes, I know the clouds don't quite fit the landscape, I used
portions
> > of another scene that was in progress.
> >
> Why not... sometimes there's rain in the desert ;)
>
> Wolfgang

These particular clouds actually use the wrinkles pattern.  I am yet to use
the blob pattern sucessfully enough to post here. I intended to use it for
making specifically shaped clouds (especially thunderheads), but the blob
pattern renders very slowly. Please reference my posts "Media based cloud
testing" on Tue, 27 Jul 2004 for description and source.

                 Reactor