POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Reflection fun : Reflection fun Server Time
18 Jul 2024 16:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Reflection fun
From: Slime
Date: 1 Aug 2004 01:07:24
Message: <410c7a8c@news.povray.org>
(You should probably watch the animation before reading this for maximum
coolness value)

Recently I've seen a couple of movies (Harry Potter 3 (pretty good), Secret
Window (eh)) in which the camera actually goes through a mirror and the
scene continues on the "other side". I thought it was a pretty cool effect,
and it gave me the idea for this. Part of the challenge was to make the
camera only go through once during the whole animation; if it had gone
through twice, I would have been able to simply turn the camera "inside out"
inbetween the two times to achieve the effect. This way, I actually had to
find a way that the reversal of the image in the mirror wouldn't ruin the
continuity when the camera goes through. (I made use of the fact that the
checkerboard pattern is reflected over the plane formed by the y-axis and
<1,0,1>.)

As a point of interest, in the movie Secret Window, when the camera goes
through the mirror, you can see that the image in the mirror isn't really
the true reflected image; rather, it's the room rotated 180 degrees around
the mirror's center. This probably made things easier for them. Wimps ;)

Sorry about the low quality, I had to recompress like 3 times to get my post
under 1 MB =(

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'spherereflectanim.mpg' (515 KB)