POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some sort of Fractal : Re: Some sort of Fractal Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some sort of Fractal
From: Ronald Chen
Date: 30 Jul 2004 21:17:45
Message: <410af339@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the suggestion Lutz!

But I am already doing the method you describe.  Infact at recursion level 4
your file took 17s, while mine took 14s.  But of course you have about 50k
more items to process at recursion level 4 (you have 177149 objects at
recursion 4, I have 126390).

Honestly I havn't let my computer try a recursion level 5 for very long yet.
Who knows, maybe it would only take 1 mins...hehe

But anyways, even recursion level 5 took 1 min to parse, it would take
forever to render using the same quality as my orginal image.

Btw, the method I used to generate the image doesn't involve a macro at all.
I just used a while loop.  That might speed yours up a bit if you tried
that.

Here's the pseudo code:

#declare base = object{some_kick_ass_object}
#declare unit = object {base}
#declare n = 4;

#while(n > 0)
#declare unit = union {
 object {base}  // this base object is your simple one.  you add scaled down
units around it etc
 union {
  // your scaled down version of unit objects, 8 of them for this picture
  }
}
#declare n = n - 1;
#end