POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some sort of Fractal : Re: Some sort of Fractal - recmacro.jpg [1/1] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some sort of Fractal - recmacro.jpg [1/1]
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 30 Jul 2004 18:53:53
Message: <410ad181@news.povray.org>
Ronald Chen <pyr### [at] shawca> wrote:

> Took about 90 hours to render.  I can't do another level of recursion, or
> else it would take 90 hours just to parse!

I assume you generate everything in one big recursive macro, so that this
macro is called (sum_{n=0}^{recursion_depth} 8^n) times?

Using #declares it is possible to construct such an L-system fractal with
just recursion_depth+1 macro calls. This is much faster, though I doubt
you can add more than one additionaly level without running out of memory.

I tried with a very similar object, and with recursion_depth=5 it took
more then 1GB memory in a few seconds, so I had to cancel it ;-)

I attached the scene file and a rendered image of it.

Lutz-Peter

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'recmacro.jpg' (62 KB)