POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : bottle [YAHDRI] : bottle [YAHDRI] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  bottle [YAHDRI]
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 29 Jul 2004 18:26:00
Message: <41097978@news.povray.org>
I've played around with HDR and MLPov, and after recently looking at some
bottle photography, I decided to make my own bottle.  Well, I learned a lot.
And, I now have a lot of new questions as well.  :-)

I tried photons, but when used in combination with a high max_trace_level
(I'm think), they took FOREVER to render and sucked up a ton of memory, so I
killed the idea.  If anyone has any tips in that department, I would greatly
appreciate it.

I used a lathe object (cubic_spline) for the bottle.  It actually has a
hollow interior, and the glass actually has thickness.  I don't know if
that's the approach that most people take.  Anyway, even with
max_trace_level set to 256 (the max), POV still reports that it traced
256/256.  Is there something I did wrong, or is that just the way it works?
For this image, it was set to 50.

I'm sure a lot of others have had lots of experience with glass objects, so
again, any advice would be appreciated.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com