POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media based cloud testing : Re: Media based cloud testing Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media based cloud testing
From: SomeOne
Date: 29 Jul 2004 03:36:35
Message: <4108a903$1@news.povray.org>
Reactor wrote:
>> "Ron M" <rm_### [at] cheapcomplexdevicescom> seems to have written in
>> message news:410### [at] cheapcomplexdevicescom...
>>>
>>> Curious what scale you used.  I think that's one of the trickier
>>> parts of choosing media settings.
>>>
>>> Was 1 POV unit 1 meter?   1 mile?   1 cloud?   arbitrary?
>>>
>>> Was the sun <rgb 1> <rgb 100> etc.
>>>
>>> Do the media settings have any correlation to any turbidity/opacity
>>> units (miles of visibility?)
>>

>> First of all, thanks all for the kind responses.  I am posting a
>> source snipet that should answer a few questions.  A macro is in the
>> works, but it might take a while...
>> I used 1 pov unit = approximately 1 foot.
>>
>> I have placed comments in the attached source snipet.  It isn't a
>> full scene, just the media block and explanation.  Please feel free
>> to play with it, and, if someone figures out how to make good
>> thunderheads, please post your method... I am experimenting with a
>> few things, and I have a quarter-baked idea for the "Desert" topic
>> (isn't fully formed enough to be half baked).
>>
>> Be aware that media clouds have very long render times.
>>

>>         Reactor

It looks to me that the shape of the cloud is governed by the shape of the
container. In your case this is a flat box. Looking at the cloud from a large
distance (or when it is scaled to a smaller size), the box shape becomes
visible. IMHO, if you adjust the size of the container then you can make any
shape of cloud. So, making a hammerhead shaped container and filling it with
"cloudy media" shoud get you where you want to be.

--
Maurice

Quote of the minute:
As a goat herd learns his trade by goat, so a writer learns his trade by wrote.